Thursday, June 26, 2008

Federer Rules


Man, I'm still mad about that game.

Oh well. On to something better. Roger Federer winning the U.S. Open yesterday took a bit of the sting from the Cleveland Browns' impersonation of a group of girl scouts. And it was great seeing Sharapova win her 2nd slam. After Lindsay Davenport, Sharapova is a big favorite of mine.

I love Federer. Class guy, and what a game. It's a shame most people aren't paying attention to tennis. This guy will end up supassing Sampras' grand slam total if he keeps playing at this level. I guess we have to have obnoxious personalities like Connors and McEnroe playing to sell the game. That's a shame. I'd rather watch great tennis than some lunatic screaming at an official.

At least those of us who ARE watching know we're seeing history in the making. As for Roddick, I'm surprised he's even won one grand slam. Nothing against him, but his game is impossible to enjoy. It does look like Connors has improved has ground game and volley, though. But if your name isn't Nadal, you don't have a shot at beating Federer in a grand slam.

So it's nine grand slams and counting for Roger. Hopefully, we'll get a Federer-Nadal final in the Australian Open in January. Two great players, and two real gentlemen. I always root for Federer...but if Nadal wins, it's not exactly something that makes me cry.

You know, like my stupid football team. They've made me cry for 8 years.

And counting.


(originally posted 9-11-2006)

No comments: