1) Maurice Carthon is OUT as the Browns offensive coordinator as of today. He brought it on himself. Goofy trick plays that didn't work. Not allowing quarterbacks to audible--change the play call--at the line of ecrimmage if they saw the defense load up in the box. The lowest ranked offense in most categories in the AFC. Being such a arrogant putz to Trent Dilfer, we had no choice but to trade him to the 49'ers for Ken Dorsey and a 7th round pick. That fiasco at the end of the first half last year in Minnesota as he let time tick away at the end of the first half, even though he had a timeout available. Not playing Winslow on 3rd downs. Not playing 2006 draft picks Jerome Harrison or Travis Wilson. Trick passing plays on 3rd and inches.
So how DID Carthon get this job? He served as Parcells' offensive coordinator in Dallas. Parcells, however, didn't let him call the plays. That should tell you everything you need to know about his skill in this area. Carthon is extremely close friends with...drum roll please.....Browns head coach, Romeo Crennel. Crennel never should have hired him--at least in that capacity--but he did. And once he did, Crennel was in a horrible position. How do you fire a close friend? He should've asked himself that before he hired him.
Crennel stayed loyal and took a ton of flack for it. I respect that. What I don't respect is being subjected to this garbage for the past year and a half. I don't respect this crap of an offense I've seen for 21, 22 games. I don't respect an offense that can't muster a score until late in the 2nd quarter or the 2nd half. I don't respect the fact that Crennel said he was "bored" during the recent bye week and cleaned out his fucking basement. I don't respect the fact that Carthon didn't fall on the sword himself for his friend. I'm not saying Carthon doesn't have a place in this league. The former fullback has something to offer. Just not calling plays.
So why DID Crennel fire his buddy? Well....he didn't. And that's where the problems will start now. Browns owner Randy Lerner and general manager Phil Savage had simply seen enough. They pulled the trigger.
And now....no doubt there is a very unhappy head coach in Cleveland. Coaches in all sports don't like having ownership fire their coaches. It's okay if THEY do it, but when the front office steps in, they can't stand it. In most cases, I don't blame them. It really should be in their jurisdiction, so to speak. But if Romeo is pissed off enough to leave at the end of the season, I'll be more than happy to help him load up his U-Haul. This team has gotten considerably worse since last season, despite adding more talent and having Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow return. No, it's not a playoff team, but talent-wise, it isn't a 1 and 5 team either. Romeo can go back to walking Bill Billichek's dog in New England.
2) Bill Parcells has just created a mess. Tonight he benched Drew Bledsoe at halftime and put in the backup quarterback, Tony Romo. The fans cheered when this happened. They didn't cheer for long. On his first play, Romo went back to pass. It was batted at the line, intercepted, and returned for a touchdown. Romo might develop into a good NFL QB. But that offensive line couldn't protect Bledsoe, and it won't protect Romo. And despite stating he hasn't decided on a starting QB for next week, I can't see him going back to Bledsoe. He prefers Romo, and going back to Drew will do nothing but to divide the locker room even more. Parcells has thrown some gasoline onto an already existing QB controversy. Good luck if he expects an inexperienced QB to take them to the playoffs. Romo isn't Tom Brady. Should be an interesting season in Cowboy land.
3) I'd be shocked if Denny Green is still the head coach by the end of the season in Arizona. The Cardinals lost to the last winless team yesterday, the Raiders. If this team hasn't quit on Green yet, they soon will. I wouldn't blame them, either. Who fucking needs a head coach who pissed away the Chicago game and then threw them to the wolves? Blow off, Denny. I'm embarrasssed to admit that I actually used to like this jerk. Oh, the offensive coordinator he fired last Tuesday has filed a grievance to collect the rest of his contract. I hope he wins it.
4) A 62 yard field goal for Tampa Bay's Mike Bryant? And it looked like it could've gone 66 yards. Unreal.
5) Back to my team. Cornerback Gary Baxter blew the patallar tendon in his knee yesterday. Both of his knees. Is this team cursed or what????? How the fuck do you rehab something like THAT when both your knees are injured? I wouldn't expect him back till 2008. I've always liked Baxter, so I hope his rehab goes well.
6) The fact that a team can lose a game in overtime without touching the ball on offense is an absolute joke. College football decides overtime games much better.
7) Shawne Merriman, San Diego Chargers linebacker, has tested postive for steroids. He's been suspended for four games, pending his appeal. Of course, I'm sure it was a supplement like he's claiming. Yeah, a supplement. Uh huh. coughcoughbullshitcoughcough.
Update: Yeah, I think I just might've been wrong about the whole Tony Romo thing. Hey, I never said that I was Miss Cleo.
(originally posted 10-24-2006)
No comments:
Post a Comment